The union of Parliaments in 1707 saw a flourish of industrial activity centred on waterpower. In 1745, Lord Maitland and others commissioned an outstanding local, Arkwright Meickle, to build a mill. This 'waulk mill', known as the Tarred Wool Company, manufactured rough blankets for the British Army. In 1800, the business closed and Wilke built the present Tyne House on the site which is now home to The Waterloo Bistro. The Bistro gets its name from the adjacent Waterloo Bridge which was aptly named after the first foundation stone was laid on the anniversary of the Battle of Waterloo.
Honest, familier and comforting environment to enjoy a wonderfully tasty meal and enjoy fabulous company.